Dr. David E. Paquette is a private practice orthodontist in Charlotte,NC. His practice, Paquette Orthodontics, efficiently uses technology in all its availability to provide his patients with the most up-to-date orthodontia care. His office is fully connected with Internet service throughout to include the waiting rooms for patient use. When he decided to go all-technology, he knew he wanted to be completely connected and to use as few service providers and vendors for economical, efficiencies and convenience purposes. And he wanted to be as integrated as possible: his Internet connectivity includes “cable television, broadband Internet, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) telephone, and fiber connection between his offices-all from one provider” (2009).
His practice management system is similar. He selected Ortho 2 ViewPoint because it allows for complete integration (2009):
- Web interface for appointment and account information
- Integrated, paperless office including email correspondence
- Integrated credit card scanning
- Integrated voice, email, and text patient reminders
- Integrated traditional or doctor time scheduling
- Integrated digital imaging and cephalometric analysis
- Integrated internal instant messaging
- Integrated employee time clock
- Integrated backup onsite or offsite
In addition to personal staff assistance, the patient is served technology every step of the way.
- Online health questionnaire completed and submitted prior to appointment; included in patient electronic health record (EHR) immediately.
- Patient view educational and promotional videos in waiting room or via Internet on accessible computer
- Color-coded alerts on monitors throughout office and treatment rooms keeps staff updated on patient progress
- Computers located at each treatment station
- Teeth photos taken in photo studio
- Cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) scan used to detect abnormalities.
- Treatment plans entered into EHR
Paquette, D. (2009, Oct.). Use of technology in the orthodontic practice: a day in the life. Americal Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, 136: 607-610.